CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC merging with Loews Cineplex (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: AMC merging with Loews Cineplex
The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 04, 2005 08:50 AM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. They're kind of stiff, too.

They're installing seats that are more like the new Century seats now (but with red velour, of course.)

I once saw a guy lay across those big stiff seats like the row was his personal couch. He was snoring five minutes into the movie. I don't think he even ate his popcorn.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted July 05, 2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews home office here in New York City will be closing with this merger. About 30-40 people will be lossing their jobs with this move. It will be around 6-9 months from around now.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 06, 2005 09:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked for a corporate office, I can say that this news truly does suck. I hope everybody can find work doing something they enjoy.

Having said that -- I hope anybody who works for Loew's or has access to any historical records and/or photos can safely save them from being lost in the merger.

David Velesaca

- posted July 08, 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for David Velesaca   Email David Velesaca         Edit/Delete Post 
the headrest is pretty fine for me, i wish i could take it with me after the movie. [Big Grin] (how do i put my picture next to my name?)

Dave Felthous

- posted July 08, 2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Loews opened a 16plex in March in suburban Seattle. They also have an aging 8plex nearby. People assumed that the staff from the old theater would transfer to the new one and the crummy one would close. Not. Except for a couple of floor-staffers who were invited to transfer, everyone else was fired. The old theater continues as a second-run venue -- with new staff. Truly a cruel company. I'm glad I work for Regal.

David Velesaca

- posted July 09, 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for David Velesaca   Email David Velesaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Well ,why fear the best, if AMC is better than loews ,why disagree. This just means that loews has to "shake things up "

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 10, 2005 07:45 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, AMC is by far better than Loews. All the Loews here were former Cineplex Odeons that are in my opinion, old and horrible.

The only true theatre Loews built here is the Magic Johnson Theatre. They are going to start to build a theatre in Monterey Park, but with the merger, I think it'll be more of an AMC than a Loews now.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 11, 2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The only Loews house in Southern California worth anything was the Loews Century Plaza 4 Theatres, rooms number 1 and 2. (former Plitt Century Plaza 2). They just razed the complex earlier this year.

Ron Newman

- posted July 11, 2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
The Plitt Century Plaza 1 & 2 (as I knew it when I lived there) was a great and classy place, home to LA's annual "Filmex" festival. It had the most comfortable theatre seats I have ever sat in. I'm very sad to hear of its demolition.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 12, 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
It was demolished to make way for a new office building. The Shubert Theatre was also demolished. And oddly enough, AMC's Century 14 two blocks down is soon to be closing (by the end of the year) and AMC will open the new Century 15 in the same mall.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 25, 2005 09:36 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Out here in the Philadelphia area, the only addition with the AMC-Loews merger will be the Loews Cineplex Cherry Hill 24 Theatre. AMC is already slated to close a older AMC (former Budco and William Goldman) Orleans 8 Theatre in NE Philadelphia.

The AMC Orleans 8 competition is 4-5 miles up the road from them, that being a REG Grant Plaza 9, which opened as United Artists Grant Plaza 9 only 10-12 years ago.

The Loews Cineplex Cherry Hill 24's competion is the REG Moorestown 7, which opened as RKO Stanley Warner's Plaza Moorestown Theatre in the mid 1960's. [Cool]

William Hooper

- posted July 25, 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the likelihood of the Loew's or AMC name being retired in favor of the other?

Ron Newman

- posted July 26, 2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
The Loew's name is probably going away, since AMC is the acquiring company, and will remain the name of the merged company.

David Velesaca

- posted July 26, 2005 08:45 AM      Profile for David Velesaca   Email David Velesaca         Edit/Delete Post 
This I believe , is a good thing .Two great company's..combining nothing better than then that

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 30, 2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The combined AMC-Loews Cineplex will retain the AMC Theatres name, as well as the Magic Johnson Theatres name for the theatres that Loews co-owns with former NBA superstar Magic Johnson.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.