CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC merging with Loews Cineplex (Page 0)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...    8  9  10 

Author Topic: AMC merging with Loews Cineplex
Dave Felthous

- posted September 13, 2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't believe that Regal will take over Seattle's Meridian, but I'll be a believer if the theater switches ads Friday. However:

Regal has refused to give showtime info to The Stranger, a local alternative paper, because "their audience is not the kind of people we want to attract." (I'm not kidding).

But this week's Stranger has showtimes through next Wednesday for the Meridian. If Regal were taking over, the times beginning Friday wouldn't be there. I think.

Anyway, I look forward to see what really happens!

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 13, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Regal doesnt run these locations into the ground. I also bet that Van Ness gets picked up by Regal. I have that gut feelin.

Ron Newman

- posted September 14, 2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to The Stranger's web site and searched for Regal Cinemas, I found this. Doesn't make me thrilled to have Regal coming to Boston:

Exit Interview

Today's Boston Globe ad for AMC Fenway just says
CLOSED TODAY!
OPENS TOMORROW AS REGAL CINEMAS!

[ September 14, 2006, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Ron Newman ]

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted September 14, 2006 11:26 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
That "interview" is from six years ago with a disgruntled(then)teenager unhappy with his job.

Who's to say things with Regal haven't changed?

And who the hell would buy a movie theatre hot dog anyway? yuck!

[ September 14, 2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Richard A Stegman Jr ]

Ron Newman

- posted September 14, 2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
But if Regal won't give movie times to this newspaper, that article might be the reason. Though it's pretty stupid to hold such a grudge for six years.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 14, 2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB showtimes lists the Meridian 16 as Regal for today and Friday.

Regarding the Stranger article, the kid should have griped about how Regal dumped THX at all of ACT III's fine theatres. They are shooting themselves in the foot by not doing showtimes in the Stranger. People will just go elsewhere.

Dave Felthous

- posted September 14, 2006 06:11 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Fandango, which is quite reliable, lists no showtimes starting Friday 9/15 for the Meridian. If Regal is taking over it might close the theater for some upgrading. When they reopened the old AMC Everett Mall 1-3 they put in new carpet and repainted the lobby before resuming business. Even though they knew that the theater would close in two or three years when the Everett 16 opened.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 14, 2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the IMDB showtimes for the "Regal Meridian 16":

http://www.imdb.com/showtimes/location/seattle,wa/cinema/1533

Change the date on the pulldown bar to Friday September 15th and all the showtimes are there. They are opening "Black Dahlia". It seems, however, that AMC had booked all the higher profile releases at the Pacific Place 11. The left the Meridian with all the leftovers...

Dave Felthous

- posted September 15, 2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Meridian is listed in Regal's directory ad in today's Seattle papers.

Ron Newman

- posted September 15, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Fenway is listed in today's Boston Globe ad as Regal, but the ad still refers to www.moviewatcher.com . That's obviously wrong.

The theatre was still not listed at Regal's web site when I looked this morning.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted September 15, 2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
From a press release:

quote:
Regal Entertainment Group Announces Acquisition of 4 Theatres and 58 Screens

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 15, 2006--Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE:RGC), a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, today announced the acquisition of four theatres with a total of 58 screens from AMC Entertainment Inc. Regal acquired the theatres in exchange for approximately $34.0 million in cash and two Regal theatres.

"The acquired theatres will enhance the Company's presence in key markets and we were pleased to add quality theatres to our asset base," stated Mike Campbell, CEO of Regal Entertainment Group.

Theatres Acquired:

Theatre (Screens) Location
------- ------- --------
42nd Street E-Walk (13) New York, NY
Fenway Stadium (13) Boston, MA
Keystone (16) Dallas, TX
Meridian (16) Seattle, WA

Theatres Exchanged:

Theatre (Screens) Location
------- ------- --------
Crossroads Mall Stadium (16) Oklahoma City, OK
Fiesta Square (16) Fayetteville, AR

Forward-looking Statements:

This press release includes "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All statements included herein, other than statements of historical fact, may constitute forward-looking statements. Although the Company believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, it can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the Company's expectations are disclosed in the risk factors contained in the Company's 2005 Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 14, 2006. All forward-looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by such factors.

About Regal Entertainment Group

Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE:RGC) is the largest motion picture exhibitor in the world. The Company's theatre circuit, comprising Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres, operates 6,383 screens in 542 locations in 40 states and the District of Columbia. Regal operates approximately 18% of all indoor screens in the United States including theatres in 43 of the top 50 U.S. markets and growing suburban areas. We believe that the size, reach and quality of the Company's theatre circuit not only provide its patrons with a convenient and enjoyable movie-going experience, but is also an exceptional platform to realize economies of scale in theatre operations and, through its investment in National CineMedia, LLC, further realize cinema advertising, marketing and other revenue enhancing opportunities by utilizing Regal's existing asset base.

Additional information is available on the Company's Web site at www.REGmovies.com.

Financial Contacts:
Don De Laria, 865-925-9685
don.delaria@REGmovies.com
or
Media Contact:
Dick Westerling, 865-925-9539
dick.westerling@REGmovies.com

SOURCE: Regal Entertainment Group

Tom Mundell

- posted September 15, 2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad Regal is taking over Fenway [Frown] I would have much preferred National Amusements or Landmark to take over...

Ron Newman

- posted September 15, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark would have been ideal, especially since the building containing the theatre is called the 'Landmark Center'.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 15, 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
At least AMC Adds two theatres in this deal. Now AMC is in one more state (Arkansas).

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 24, 2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
There goes the neighborhood... Arkansas was such a nice place.

Wait... no... it's not. What am I talking about??? [Razz]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...    8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.