CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Salem, OR - Wallace Announces 14-Plex

Author Topic: Salem, OR - Wallace Announces 14-Plex
The Evil Sam Graham

- posted February 26, 2005 08:27 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Salem Statesman-Journal

quote:
Keizer Station to include theater

Shopping development signs deal to build 14-screen movie theater near stadium

CRYSTAL BOLNER
Statesman Journal

February 19, 2005

KEIZER -- Wallace Theaters, a Portland-based company and the 10th-largest movie exhibitor in the country, has finalized a deal with a shopping center developer in Keizer to build a 14-screen movie theater next to Volcanoes Stadium, an executive with the company said.

Wallace Theaters plans to lease 10.5 acres next to Volcanoes Stadium, where it will begin building its theater facility later this year, said Tim Reed, vice president of real estate with Wallace Theaters.

The facility will include 14 screens with stadium seating and room for approximately 2,500 seats. The company plans to employ 75 to 100 people at the multiplex, Reed said.

"We feel the Salem-Keizer market is underserved. The Keizer Station development is going to be the premier shopping center development in the entire market. It's a pretty incredible project and we saw an opportunity to fill a need," he said.

The new theater in Keizer will be part of an expansion Wallace Theaters began last year, when the company announced plans to add 200 screens to the 540 screens the company already operates around the country, Reed said.

Wallace Theaters owns 58 movie theaters in 12 states and the Pacific Rim, including theaters in Oregon, California and Hawaii.

There are currently five movie theaters operating in the Salem area, with four in outlying communities such as Dallas, Stayton and Sublimity. Three of the five in Salem -- Movieland, Lancaster Mall and Santiam 11 -- are owned by the nation's largest movie exhibitor, Regal Entertainment Group. Two theaters -- Salem Cinema and Northern Lights Theatre Pub -- are independently owned.

Regal Entertainment Group did not return phone calls for comment on this story.

Kevin Roudebush, owner of Northern Lights Theatre Pub in Salem, said he thinks a new theater in Keizer could be too much for the Salem market and draw some customers away from Regal's business.

"Movieland downtown and Lancaster Mall are probably going to take the biggest hit," Roudebush said. "Those people have to come from somewhere. I don't believe it's going to hurt my business so much because we target a sort of niche market."

Loretta Miles, owner of Salem Cinema, said she wasn't surprised by the news.

"I think that Salem is slightly under-screened anyway and I was always surprised that someone didn't build in Keizer seeing how Keizer is always fast-growing," Miles said.

She said it remains to be seen whether 14 more screens in the Salem-Keizer area will affect her business, though she ventures to guess that it probably won't because she deals mainly in foreign and independent films as opposed to mainstream movies.

Jewon Lemari Jr., 23, a loan officer for World Family Financial who lives in Keizer with his wife and 2-year-old child, said he thinks a new movie theater in the area is a great idea. Lemari said Keizer lacks many choices in the way of entertainment.

"Me and my wife, we go to the movies down at Lancaster," Lemari said. "It would be really good not to have to drive all the way down there to see a movie."

Angela Warren, 57, who lives on McLeod Lane in Keizer, said she won't mind having a theater in Keizer.

"I think it might be a little big, but I don't know," Warren said. "If it's there by I-5, they might draw people from Woodburn down, not just from the Salem area."

Tom Vance, 57, who lives in McNary Estates in Keizer, said a movie theater about a mile from his house may create a little more traffic through town, but overall he thinks the convenience would far outweigh any drawbacks.

"It would be kind of nice. I'm kind of looking forward to them building that shopping center period, so I don't have to run everywhere for everything," Vance said.

Other businesses planning to locate at the Keizer Station Shopping Center include Lowe's, Target, Ross Dress for Less, Bed Bath & Beyond, Cost Plus World Market and Michael's Crafts, said Alan Roodhouse, project manager for Keizer Station.

Lowe's home improvement store is scheduled to open in October and Target in March 2006.

Clearing of the 95 acres that make up the "Village Center" of the project has already begun, and construction of sewer and water systems as well as roads and buildings is expected to begin shortly, Roodhouse said.

"We're on a very tight schedule, but we still believe we're going to make our target dates," Roodhouse said.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Allen

- posted March 02, 2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
"We feel the Salem-Keizer market is underserved. The Keizer Station development is going to be the premier shopping center development in the entire market. It's a pretty incredible project and we saw an opportunity to fill a need," he said.

Interesting that he said that. Translated into English that means "we are going to fight Regal over the same product and will probably be showing the same stuff". They probably hope to draw the audiophiles and techno-nuts with all the latest bells and whistles.

Salem doesn't need another multiplex.

I know Kevin and he is attempting to offer the public something different than the general release houses in his 3-screener.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.