CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » POLICE BLOTTER (and News of the Weird) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: POLICE BLOTTER (and News of the Weird)
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 24, 2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you getting all the info on Cinemas in the News?

Every time I check out that forum I see "FIVE SCREEN THEATRE VANDALIZED" and it makes me marvel as to what kind of slow news day put THAT into a newspaper. Next can we have a forum about "LOCAL CHILD TRAPPED IN REFRIGERATOR - EATS OWN FOOT"?

Of course I've never actually READ the article about the theatre vandalizing... too many damn words.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Stambaugh

- posted April 24, 2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Dave Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Stambaugh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering the same thing! Either Adam is one HECK of an Internet news scrounger, or he subscribes to some kind of exclusive movie theatre gossip sheet or something. [Wink]

Roger Katz

- posted April 24, 2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this movie theatre related story beats the 5 screens being vandalized one. [Cool]

quote:
Toe-tapping ignites fight at Wisconsin Cinema
4/24/2003

A moviegoer in Menomonee Falls, Wis. could face fines as high as $348 for her recent altercation with another theatre patron stemming from what local police have described as "excessive foot-tapping."

Local newspapers report that during a screening of "What A Girl Wants" at Marcus Theatres in Menomonee Falls, 46-year-old Linda Gould was repeatedly told by 30-year-old Debra Schoessow, who was seated across the aisle from her, to stop tapping her foot loudly.

Gould contends that when the screening ended, she approached Schoessow and her family to give an apology, which, according to Shoessow's account of the story, was completely sarcastic. The physical confrontation between the two women began at that point, with Gould reported to have hit Shoessow, who was six months pregnant, in the back of the head.

Gould was informed by authorities to report to the local police station, where she was cited for disorderly conduct. --Francesca Dinglasan

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 24, 2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ... maybe we should use this thread for "Cinema News of the Weird" ... [Big Grin]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 26, 2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more Police Blotter action from The Scotsman (from Scotland, duh!):

quote:

Cinema raid ends in failure

POLICE are hunting a pair of would-be armed robbers who tied up two ushers during a military-style raid on a cinema.

The raiders struck at the Circuit Cinema, at the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet in Livingston, in the early hours of Sunday morning as staff were locking up for the night.

It is thought that the pair hid in the cinema on Saturday night, before pouncing hours later. The would-be robbers, who were armed with a gun and a knife and dressed in military-style clothing, tied up two male ushers, aged 25 and 28. They then tried unsuccessfully to force a safe before making their escape empty-handed by abseiling down the side of the building. The ushers were unhurt.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 28, 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
From SABC News:

quote:

Iraqi Cinemas re-open without the sex

Just 11 people came to watch the matinee at Basra's dingy al-Rashid cinema when it re-opened this week after a 16-day closure. The reason? Not enough sex.

"We don't dare show any romance movies, only action," said Mohammed Hazim, the cinema manager.

"Nobody wants to see action. They all want romance. Usually 300 people would be here. It's a disaster."

Basra's three cinemas closed their doors earlier this month after several visits by serious young men on motorbikes who told them that if they showed "sinful" movies they would be burned to the ground. This week they tentatively reopened, showing old Arabic films and American action movies.

"Romance" - the Basra euphemism for films showing as much naked female flesh as possible - was strictly off the agenda. "We can't even show people kissing," Hazim said.

Since the fall of Saddam Hussein, Shi'ite Muslim clerics have become the most powerful political players in southern Iraq. Many want to impose strict moral regulations on the region similar to the austere religious rules of Iran.

Christian alcohol merchants have been told to end their trade, and two were shot dead in their shops earlier this month.

Hashim Mohammed Ali, manager at the Atlas Cinema, says business has never been this bad, even in wartime.

Roger Katz

- posted May 30, 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Oakland Tribune:
quote:

Thieves haul 1000-pound ATM out theater's lobby

By Ivan Delventhal, STAFF WRITER
SAN LEANDRO -- Police and the FBI worked Wednesday to identify several burglars who hauled away a 1,000-pound automated teller machine from the lobby of Century Theatres at BayFair Mall.

The theft was reported Tuesday afternoon by the general manager of the movie theater complex, Detective Joe Molettieri said.

At least two burglars apparently entered the theater Tuesday during the early-morning hours, Molettieri said.

The thieves unplugged the free-standing Bank of America ATM, dragged it out through the front doors of the theater and loaded it into a waiting vehicle. The cash machine, 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide, was not bolted down or secured.

The ATM left gouges in the lobby's tile floor and for about 10 feet beyond the entryway where the thieves dragged it, Molettieri said.

Based on the bulk and weight of the machine, investigators believe at least two people were involved in the crime.

Paul Linfesty

- posted May 31, 2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! With all this theatre police records, I don't think I'll veer feel safe stepping inside a theatre again!

Roger Katz

- posted June 01, 2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
From KREM 2 News:

quote:

Teen victim of bizarre assault at movie theater

05/28/2003

Erik Loney, KREM 2 News

A teenage girl went to see a movie Tuesday night and wound up being the victim in a bizarre assault: a man cut off part of her hair while she was sitting in the theater.

Sixteen-year-old Jessica Armstrong went to a movie Tuesday night with her sister and friend at the Regal Cinemas at the Spokane Valley Mall.

They were watching the 9:30 PM showing of "Bruce Almighty" when a man, sitting behind her, cut off some of her hair.

"It was three different times it looked like he cut," Jessica said.

"I felt the tug on my hair and I assumed the guy put a foot up and hit my hair so I swept my hair forward and leaned forward so it wouldn't happen again," she added.

When the film was over the man left quickly and Jessica didn't realize her hair had been cut until she got home.

Jessica's mother reported the incident to the sheriff's office and assault and sex crimes detectives say this is the first case like this they've heard of.

"The high number of reports of a man cutting hair indicates a guy has a problem and needs to be addressed," Cpl. Dave Reagan, Spokane County Sheriff's Office, said.

As for Jessica, she's scared and doesn't plan on going to the movies for a while.

"It creeps me out that someone has my hair possibly," she said.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 01, 2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really police-involved, but it sounds as if it was headed that way...

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0516matrix-hissyfit-ON.html

Hissing 'Matrix' fans reloaded with tickets, popcorn
Stephanie Paterik
The Arizona Republic
May. 16, 2003 02:10 PM

Hard-core Matrix Reloaded fans threw popcorn, pounded on the projection room window and ran screaming from the theater when a projector broke during a first-night showing in Chandler.

Hundreds of people waited hours at Harkins Chandler Fashion Center to see the highly anticipated Matrix sequel at 11 p.m. on opening night Wednesday. A projector lamp broke during the heavily advertised freeway chase scene.

"The movie was ruined," said Ward Andrews, 28, of Chandler. "You're excited, you're tense and then you don't get to see the key sequence in the film."

The audio continued to roll but was drowned out by people yelling and shaking their seats. One man climbed on someone's shoulders to pound on the projection room window, said Aubrey Johnson, 22, of Chandler, who waited five hours to see the show.

The problem was fixed in 10 minutes, but it was impossible to rewind and show the missed two minutes, said Harkins' Jackie Faubus. People who left were given two movie passes each. Those who stayed got coupons for free popcorn.

Greg Canales

- posted June 03, 2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Greg Canales   Email Greg Canales         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the thieves stealing the ATM...

If Century would actualy move into THIS CENTURY and take debit and credit cards for tickets and pruchases then they wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 03, 2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody needs to go read Film-Tech about the credit card slow down. [Wink]

Kim Connell

- posted June 03, 2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Kim Connell   Email Kim Connell         Edit/Delete Post 
My theater didn't start taking credit cards until 2000, when we got new touch screens. Before then we were using old machines from way back whenever...

-

Made by Pacer CATS. We still have one in the old lobby. Haven't used it since 1999 or 2000, based on the movie list in the slot, hee hee. LED screen, only 8 rows of buttons with an alt key (or "page change" key) so you could technically sell for 24 different features from 3 "pages". In each row from left to right are the buttons for adult, child/sr., free pass, and coupons of all sorts. The printer is next to it and is bad dot matrix style, and the tickets were as small as postage stamps. People were always losing them or couldn't read them.

The worst part? You had to change each theater to the next "set" by hand so you could sell for the next showtime. Meaning that when you opened, you would set the machine on set 1 (the first group of shows that run), then during the break when they are all running, you would have to remember to switch each theater on the machine to recognize "set 2" so you would be selling tickets for the next showtimes. What a pain!

Today's touch screens are a LOT nicer...

-

The set switch-overs are automatic. Laser-printed tickets that are NICE AND BIG and you can read the print on them. Credit card swiper is behind the keyboard.

Anyway, the point of this... our credit cards take 9 years to run. It slows the line down. The people fidget, especially when they are late for a movie. I hate it! But with the cost of movies, you have to have them, or people get upset. I think that's why they finally decided to switch us over to touch screens and credit cards. [Smile]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 04, 2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this thread is for news of the weird, please direct any further discussion of credit cards to a new thread in Cinema Yak.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 04, 2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Please direct any power trips to a new thread please... [Razz]

(I won't make any more pot-shots on ya Adam... just this one)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.