Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Tulsa OK MYSTERIES SOLVED

Author Topic: Tulsa OK MYSTERIES SOLVED
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 15, 2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This was sent in by Dan Wright ... Maybe the Forum Twin, which operated from 1981-???

-

"This is either a one or two screen theatre on 21st street in Tulsa Oklahoma. It is gutted to a shell. The remains of the projection booth above the lobby are visible. There are two ports for the projectors remaining. I could not tell if this was a one screen running two projectors or a twin.

"There appears to be some fire damage to the front of the building although it is not apparent in the photographs. No one in the ajacent shopping center could tell me what it was called or when it closed."

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 15, 2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one from Dan in Tulsa. His information says it's the Plaza 3, but when I did city directory research, I never came up with that name.

Maybe this one is the Forum Twin with a screen added later in life? It fits the time frame.

-

"This is the Plaza 3 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was built around 1980 but was not open for more then a few years. It is now a church. From what I am told it was owned by the same people who built the Bowman Twin.

"This is located on 21st street. I do not have an exact address."

Dan Wright

- posted April 11, 2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Dan Wright   Email Dan Wright         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one is the Forum. I went back and checked the building number it is 11676 the same as you have listed for the Forum in the Tulsa theatres listing. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Jerry Roberson

- posted December 31, 2003 05:11 AM      Profile for Jerry Roberson           Edit/Delete Post 
Having grown up on Tulsa's eastside, I am thoroughly familiar with both cinemas you show on this thread.

The flat-facade cinema was indeed the Forum Twin (attached to the old one-story Forum Mall). It was located 11676 E. 21st Street in Tulsa, and you have it listed as # 16347 on your cinema listings page for Tulsa. I remember seeing both Star Wars and E.T. at that theater. It closed in the mid-1980s. You have it listed as opening in 1981, but that is incorrect. An opening date of 1975 is more realistic.

The round-facade cinema was the Plaza 3, located at 2001 S. 129th E. Avenue (merely 3/4 mile east of the Forum Twin), and listed as # 22882 on your cinema listing. The center theater was one of the largest in Tulsa. I recall seeing countless
summer movie matinees there with hundreds of other eastside kids. The last movie I saw there was Top Gun. It closed shortly after that in 1987 or so. It had opened in the early 1970s. The building now belongs to Eastland Baptist Church (which is a block north of this building), and they now lease the building to Plainview Baptist Church.

All times are Pacific  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.